This week, I asked one of my Grade 5 students to choose a picture story book for me to review. I asked her to pick one that she either already loved, or one that she was drawn to. I was pretty happy when she handed me ‘The Things I Love About School’.
This is such a wonderfully positive recount of a little bunny’s school life; from the subjects she loves, to learning and trying new things and making new friends in the playground.
Why I love it:
Often, parents tell me that when they pick their child up at the end of the day and ask them, “What did you do today?” the answer they get is “Not much,” or “I don’t know”. Reading ‘The Things I Love About School’ may just help jog your little one’s memory in regard to some of the things that actually did do and some of the things they enjoyed.
Perhaps, if you have a child who has recently started school and they might still be a little nervous or anxious, this book may help them feel excited about all the various aspects of school life and all the things to look forward to.
In all honesty, one of the things I love most about this book is that one of my gorgeous Grade 5’s chose it – maybe I’m doing something right. 😊
Themes to discuss with your child:
- School and learning
- Feeling enjoyment
- Developing confidence
- Trying new things
- The love of learning
- Being part of a team
- Sharing thoughts, ideas and stories
Questions to ask your child:
- What do you think this book might be about?
- Do you think this is a fiction book (a story) or a non-fiction book (facts)?
- Is this a book you want to read? Why/why not?
- Do you go to school? If so, what do you love about it?
- If you don’t go to school, what is it that you love most about learning?
- What is the bunny drawing on the board, on the cover?
- What would be a good adjective to describe how the bunny seems to be feeling?
- Did you enjoy this story? Why/why not?
- What were three of the subjects the bunny did at school?
- Which of those subjects is your favourite?
- What activity made the bunny nervous at first and then they discovered they really loved it?
- What was bunny’s favourite part of the day? Why?
- Do you think it’s good to learn?
- How do you feel when you learn something new?
- What is one thing you would really like to learn about?
Join the newsletter
Like a little brilliance in your inbox?
Sign up here to receive a weekly update from us.