This week, many of you will be sending a little one off to school for the first time. Having gone through this in the past, I know there are some mixed emotions leading up to this day. There’s excitement, nerves, a bit of sadness and some anxiety. I know my children experienced all of those, but I think I experienced them more!
Over the next two weeks, we will review 2 picture story books that deal with this milestone. These books can help all of us get through it!
My First Day at School follows four children, Zach, Amira, Ari and Zoe, as they get through their very first day at school.
The children take it in turns to tell the story of different aspects of the school day, from saying goodbye in the morning, to learning the rules and doing work in class.
Despite some worries and concerns during the day, everything works out just fine! New friends are made, and fun is had. At the end of the day, there’s Mum, with a massive smile and listening ears. This school thing, is going to be great!
Why I love it:
It can be difficult for us oldies to remember exactly what it is about something like the first day of school, that makes our children worry. We sometimes think only about the separation side of it (perhaps because that’s the bit that scares us) but for our children, the worries extend to making new friends, learning new rules and just knowing how it all works in this big, strange new place.
I love that this story tackles some of those concerns, so that even if my child can’t verbalise it, maybe this book will help ease a worry or two.
Themes/ideas to discuss with your child:
- Starting something new
- Being brave
- Being independent
- Learning new things
- Making friends
- Growing up
Questions to ask your child:
- What do you think this book might be about?
- Do you think this is a fiction book (a story) or a non-fiction book (facts)?
- Is this a book you want to read? Why/why not?
- How did you feel on your first day of school? OR How are you feeling about your first day of school?
- Is there anything you were/are nervous about?
- How do you think the children on the cover are feeling?
- Why do you think Meredith Costain has written a book about the first day of school?
- Did you enjoy this book? Why/why not?
- What do you think is/is going to be the best part of school?
- What do you think is/is going to be the hardest part about school?
- At the end of the book, how was Ari feeling about school?
- How was Ari’s Mum feeling?
- What advice would you give to someone who was starting school?
Never miss a freebie!
Like a little brilliance in your inbox?
Sign up here to receive a free weekly planner printable.
(That's just the start of the free goodies - our subscribers are the first to receive our brilliant activity ideas for fun family time!)