Fearless is written by the same author as one of my all-time favourite picture story books: The Short and Incredibly Happy Life of Riley. We’ll be bringing you another Colin Thompson book next week, too, so I hope you are as much of a fan as I am.
Sometimes, people can be given the wrong name; a ‘Mary’ might grow up to be much more like a ‘Kate’ and ‘Ben’ might be a lot more ‘Jacob’ than was first thought. It’s the same with dogs, and when Fearless grew up, it turned out he had well and truly been given the wrong name!
Fearless is afraid of everything. He wouldn’t hurt a fly (except the one he accidentally sat on) and he is completely, charmingly, dopey.
However, being a rather large dog, not everyone knows how gentle he is and sometimes, even when he’s trying to be friendly, he can scare people so much, they run away. This is particularly awesome when someone breaks into the house one night and unbeknownst to him, Fearless lives up to his name…
Why I love it:
This is a book for anyone who has ever fallen in love with a dog and probably would also be a great book for anyone who has ever been afraid of a dog.
Fearless was a short-listed book at the CBA awards and it has been voted as a kids’ favourite across Australia.
It is a totally delightful story, beautifully told, and I found myself smiling throughout the whole thing; that’s always a good sign.
Themes to discuss with your child:
- Being misunderstood
Questions to ask your child:
- What do you think this book might be about?
- Do you think this is a fiction book (a story) or a non-fiction book (facts)?
- Is this a book you want to read? Why/why not?
- What do you think the medal on the cover means? Does this influence the way you feel about reading the book?
- Does the dog on the cover look fearless? Why/Why not?
- Does he look like a dog you would want to pat? Why/Why not?
- Are you fearless?
- Did you enjoy this story? Why/why not?
- What do you think Fearless should have been named?
- Do you think Fearless was a good pet?
- Why do you think some people (including the burglar) were afraid of Fearless?
- Have you ever been afraid of a dog?
- How do you think the family feels about Fearless?
Join the newsletter
Like a little brilliance in your inbox?
Sign up here to receive a weekly update from us.