Aaron Blabey does not disappoint (does he ever?!) with Sunday Chutney. I’m a huge fan of Aaron Blabey’s books; his stories and illustrations are engaging and recognisable and I love knowing, with certainty, that it’s going to be a good read.
Sunday Chutney moves around a lot. Her Dad’s job means they have lived in countries all over the world; which is great – except, when it isn’t. Sunday Chutney loves the travel, but she doesn’t love always being the new, weird kid.
Fortunately for her, she’s an optimist and wallowing, is not something she’s prone to do. Sunday Chutney is quick to see the bright side and to let her inner-awesomeness shine through.
Why I love it:
Sunday Chutney has a delicious quirkiness to her character. She is extremely likeable and quite relatable in her worries, dislikes and aspirations. I think the reason this book appeals to me is because I admire her so much. Anyone who is truly relaxed with being just who they are and anyone who strives to find the positive in all situations, has my vote as a good human.
This is a fun book with a great underlying theme of self-acceptance and positivity.
Themes to discuss with your child:
- Being yourself
- Quirkiness and uniqueness
- Skills and talents
- Likes and dislikes
- Being alone vs being lonely
- Feeling out of place
- Acceptance of others
- Positivity and optimism
Questions to ask your child:
- What do you think this book might be about?
- Do you think this is a fiction book (a story) or a non-fiction book (facts)?
- Is this a book you want to read? Why/why not?
- What are three adjectives you could use to describe how Sunday Chutney looks?
- What are three adjectives you could use to describe what you think Sunday Chutney might be like as a person?
- Who wrote this book? Do you know any other books by the same author?
- Why do you think there is only one name written on the cover? How many do most picture books have?
- If you had to guess, would you say it was summer or winter where Sunday Chutney is?
- Did you enjoy this story? Why/why not?
- What are two words that come to mind when you think of the character of Sunday Chutney?
- Would you like to be friends with Sunday? Why/Why not?
- How do you think you would cope if you had to change schools all the time?
- List 2 things Sunday likes and 2 things she dislikes.
- Tell me 2 things you like and 2 things you dislike.
- If you could say just one thing to Sunday Chutney, what would it be?
Join the newsletter
Like a little brilliance in your inbox?
Sign up here to receive a weekly update from us.