Christmas is over, and if you’re anything like us, you are now trying to find homes for all those new toys! The bedrooms suddenly seem very cluttered and you are slightly ashamed by just how much ‘stuff’ your kids have. This book may help, in more ways than one…
Joe is prone to leaving his toys out at night. Not big on cleaning his room, he doesn’t believe in his Dad’s threats about The Toy Fairy coming to take his toys away. But then, his toys start to disappear.
Joe is sure his Dad is taking them, so he stays awake one night, to catch him in the act. What he sees, however, is a tiny man, shrinking Joe’s toys and putting them in his sack to carry them away.
Joe is not exactly thrilled about this and devises a plan.
The next night, as The Toy Fairy goes to shrink a doll, Joe reaches out and grabs it. He is then shrunk, too, and taken away by The Toy Fairy.
It is then that he learns what happens to the taken toys and he’s not so mad after all.
I’m not going to give away the ending, but I will tell you that it’s lovely and well worth a read, to get there.
Why I love it:
Every so often, when seeking out new books to review, I come across an absolute gem; something I have never before heard of, but a book that really gets me and one I typically then get for our shelves. This is one of those books.
This is a book about the haves and have-nots and about appreciating what we are blessed with. It’s a perfect book for after Christmas and a new favourite of mine.
Themes/ideas to discuss with your child:
- Appreciating what we have
Questions to ask your child:
- What do you think this book might be about?
- Do you think this is a fiction book (a story) or a non-fiction book (facts)?
- Is this a book you want to read? Why/why not?
- Have you every heard of The Toy Fairy?
- What do you think The Toy Fairy might do?
- What kind of man do you think The Toy Fairy is?
- Did you enjoy this book? Why/why not?
- Why do you think The Toy Fairy took Joe’s toys?
- Why was Joe so furious when he first saw The Toy Fairy?
- How did Joe feel when he saw where his toys were ending up?
- Why do you think Joe sometimes now deliberately leaves out a toy?
- What do you think is the lesson in this story?
Join the newsletter
Like a little brilliance in your inbox?
Sign up here to receive a weekly update from us.