Not a story book, as such, but still a beautiful book to read and look through, Silent Night and Other Christmas Carols, is a great one to get the holiday season started.
Each page of this gorgeous pop-up book, has a different well-known Christmas Carol on it. It even comes with a CD so you can sing along with a backing track if you like.
Why I love it:
This book is a bit of a feast for the senses: the cover itself is embossed with a beautiful felt that is difficult to stop running your fingers over and the illustrations are engaging and even interactive in some cases (there’s a Christmas scene to decorate and little doors and flaps to open). My kids love spending time with this one; I say, ‘spending time’ because it’s not just about the reading.
We do love a good sing-along at our house (usually with my husband at the piano) and the CD certainly does come in handy, if not just to remind the grown ups of the tune of some of these childhood songs.
We are just starting to get into the spirit of the season and this beautiful book is certainly helping!
Themes/ideas to discuss with your child:
- The true meaning behind Christmas
- The spirit of Christmas
- Music and carols
Questions to ask your child:
- What do you think this book might be about?
- Do you think this is a fiction book (a story) or a non-fiction book (facts)?
- Is this a book you want to read? Why/why not?
- What Christmas Carols do you know? Can you sing one for me?
- Do you enjoy singing? Why/why not?
- Tell me three things you know about this book, just from the front cover.
- Did you enjoy this book? Why/why not?
- What is your favourite Christmas carol? What do you like about it?
- Did you enjoy the pop-up pictures?
- Which page was your favourite?
- If you were to write your own Christmas carol, what would you write it about?
Join the newsletter
Like a little brilliance in your inbox?
Sign up here to receive a weekly update from us.