With Fathers’ Day this coming Sunday (there’s still time to shop!!) we thought we would review our favourite ‘Daddy’ book!
Each page of this book, begins with the words: “I love my daddy because…” and the sentence is then completed with words provided by children, about their own fathers.
The responses are innocent, sweet and sometimes quite amusing and the animal illustrations are extremely appealing to children.
Why I love it:
In our household, it’s become a bit of a tradition to give a new Father’s Day/ Mother’s Day picture book each year, so we have quite a few lying around! Why I Love My Daddy is the one our two children keep requesting.
They have created a little game out of it, where their Daddy acts out the text on each page, so when it says: “I love my daddy because… he tickles me”, my husband will tickle them. Or, “I love my daddy because… he has the best ideas,” and my husband has to quickly come up with a new ‘good idea’.
To be perfectly honest, this role-play is not always what their Daddy feels like doing at the very end of a day, but the kids absolutely love it and it’s become quite a thing between the three of them.
I love that the words in the book are real children’s responses and I love that at the very end of the book, there is a cardboard photo frame for you to place a photograph of your child/children and their Daddy.
Themes/ideas to discuss with your child:
- Father’s Day
- Special moments shared with our Daddies
Questions to ask your child:
- What do you think this book might be about?
- Do you think this is a fiction book (a story) or a non-fiction book (facts)?
- Is this a book you want to read? Why/why not?
- What kind of animals are on the cover?
- What do you think is the relationship between these two animals?
- How do you think the smaller animal is feeling? What makes you think this?
- Who is the author of this book?
- Who is the illustrator?
- Did you enjoy this book? Why/why not?
- What was your favourite page? Why do you like it?
- Which pages said things that are true of your Daddy?
- Which pages said things that are not so true of your Daddy?
- If you were to write a page in this book, what would it say?
Join the newsletter
Like a little brilliance in your inbox?
Sign up here to receive a weekly update from us.