My lovely Auntie Mich gave Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers to my son as a birthday present a couple of years ago. One read and the whole Sunshine Collective family was hooked!
Lost and Found is the story of a little lost penguin and the boy who tries to help him find his way home. Along their journey, however, friendship is what they really find.
Why I love it:
This is an incredibly sweet story about kindness and selflessness. There are moments of humour and a very beautiful, tender ending. We read this book again and again and ended up with the whole family doing actions to match each page. It’s just one of those books that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.
Themes to discuss with your child:
Lost and Found raises a number of themes you can discuss with your child.
Among them are:
- Kindness and compassion
- Helping others
Questions to ask your child:
- What do you think this book might be about?
- Do you think this is a fiction book (a story) or a non-fiction book (facts)?
- What are the boy and the penguin sitting in?
- Why do you think the boy is carrying a suitcase? What could this mean?
- Why did the boy want to help the penguin find his way home?
- What were three things the boy did to help the penguin?
- What do you think happened to finally make the boy realise the penguin was lonely?
- Have you ever felt lonely? Tell me about it.
- The boy really went out of his way to help the penguin; have you ever gone to a lot of effort to help someone else? Tell me about it.
- What do you think will happen when the penguin and the boy get home?
Never miss a freebie!
Like a little brilliance in your inbox?
Sign up here to receive a free weekly planner printable.
(That's just the start of the free goodies - our subscribers are the first to receive our brilliant activity ideas for fun family time!)